Whether you have a luxury bag or shoes made from full-grain leather, one thing's for sure – you're going to have in your hands long-lasting materials as this leather is categorised as top grain because of its durability and pristine finishing.
If you have been reorganising your leather bags and shoes at home, you may notice cloudy white spots all over your leather materials. This is what we know as mould. It can cause typical leather damage, such as staining and discolouration, if not treated properly.
Leather kept under proper storage like dust bags and at room temperature with humidity between 40 and 60 per cent, should not grow any mould. But because we've been experiencing rainy weather and high humidity of more than 70 per cent, this may contribute to the growth of mould and fungi. The most important thing is to ensure there is sufficient air circulation. Once I was overseas for two weeks and had no one to air my house – I came home to mouldy leather bags and belts. Not a trust-fund baby with a budget for a custom-built walk-in closet and optimum temperature for leather products? No worries, simply follow the instructions below.
How to care for your leather bags
1. Ditch baby wipes and wet tissues as these will only introduce water stains. You will need to purchase a leather cleaner product.
2. Always do a spot test first – you wouldn't want your beloved Loewe tote bag to be damaged forever.
3. The Weiman Leather Cleaner & Conditioner uses a pH-neutral formula which helps clean, moisturise and protect your leather while restoring the natural suppleness and sheen. You could also try the Dicon Leather Mould Remover that's safe on leather and suede. Spray on a cleaning cloth and wipe all over. There is also the Leather Honey Leather Cleaner, which is suitable for bags, car leather seats and furniture too.
4. Use silica gel packs or a dehumidifier to prevent any moisture from accumulating on your leather bags. I'd recommend using these Hanging Hygroscopic Anti-Mold Deodorizing Moistureproof Desiccant Bags and Thirsty Hippo Dehumidifier Moisture Absorber.
5. Store your leather items in these dust cover storage bags that come in blue, black and pink colours or these transparent storage organiser bags. To quote Carrie Bradshaw in Sex & The City: "I like my money right where I can see it: Hanging in my closet."
Meanwhile, if you're not an Amazon Prime member, you can take advantage of its deals with a 30-day free trial at amazon.sg/tryprimefree.