'World War Z' star still holding out for sequel

Gregory Wakeman
·Contributor
·2-min read
Mireille Enos is still holding out hope for a World War Z sequel (Image by Paramount Pictures)
Mireille Enos is still holding out hope for a World War Z sequel (Image by Paramount Pictures)

Mireille Enos is still hopeful that the long touted sequel to World War Z will one day be confirmed, insisting that the first film is just too good for a follow-up not to happen.

Enos, who played Karin Lane, the wife to Brad Pitt’s Gerry Lane, in the 2013 blockbuster, said as much during her recent interview with Variety, even teasing that they’ve been very, very close to a sequel at times.

“It seems to have a little curse hanging over it. We were all lined up to go. We had [David] Fincher, we had a beautiful script and then it just didn’t happen.”

Read More: Brad Pitt's long-planned 'World War Z' sequel is axed

After World War Z grossed around $540 million (£412 million) at the box office, Paramount announced their plans for at least one sequel, with a trilogy even suggested, too. Then the merry go round of directors linked to the blockbuster started to turn.

TOKYO - JANUARY 29:  Actor Brad Pitt and director David Fincher attend the "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" Japan Premiere at Roppongi Hills arena on January 29, 2009 in Tokyo, Japan. The film will open on February 7 in Japan.  (Photo by Jun Sato/WireImage)
Brad Pitt and director David Fincher attend the "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" Japan Premiere, 2009 in Tokyo, Japan. (Jun Sato/WireImage)

At first, The Orphanage’s Juan Antonio Bayona was attached, with Peaky Blinders’ Steven Knight writing. But by January, 2016, it had been confirmed that Bayona was no longer involved.

Then, later that summer, film fans became really excited when it was revealed that David Fincher, Pitt’s long time collaborator on Se7en, Fight Club, and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, had entered negotiations to direct.

Read More: World War Z 2 producer still hopeful David Fincher will direct the zombie mayhem

In June, 2017, Paramount confirmed that Fincher would direct. However, in February, 2019, after nearly two years of set-backs and pre-production problems, it was then announced that the film had been cancelled.

Since then we’ve had no more updates or even rumours regarding World War Z 2, something that Enos is clearly a little disappointed about.

“It seems like such a shame for it not to be made,” Enos told Variety. “The first one was so good.”