Taiwan Travel: 17 things to do in Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung
Have you been to Taipei? What about the other parts of Taiwan?
The main island of Taiwan is elongated with Taipei in the north, Taichung in the middle, and Tainan in the south. The Chinese names of these cities are quite literally where they are located on the island.
Although most tourists would prefer to visit Taipei, the other parts of Taiwan have equally fascinating experiences.
Personally, I enjoyed touring around Taichung, which is more laid-back than Taipei but doesn’t lose the city vibes. Besides, if you’re looking for some authentic, mouth-watering sun cakes or tai yang bing, Taichung is the place to go.
Let’s take a look at 17 things you can do in Taichung, Tainan, and Taiwan's third most populated city Kaohsiung (after Taichung).
1. Visit the biggest theme park in Taichung
Lihpao Land Theme Park Combo Ticket, from S$21.99 (was S$26.39)
2. Tease your brain at the Museum of Illusions
Museum of Illusions Ticket in Taichung, from S$16.70
3. Marvel at the stunning sunset at Gaomei Wetlands
Classic Taichung Attractions & Gaomei Wetlands Day Tour from Taipei, S$60.65 (was S$79.15)
4. Check out the street art at Rainbow Village
Taichung Half Day and One Day Tour: Gaomei Wetland, Rainbow Village, and Miyahara (From Taichung), S$52.75
5. Explore Ten Drum Art Percussion Group’s performance theatre, which was originally a sugar mill
Tainan: Ten Drum Cultural Village Admission Ticket, from S$10.99
6. Witness the wide collection of important cultural heritage accumulated by Tainan in the past 400 years
Tainan Art Museum Admission Ticket, S$8.79
7. Admire the ancient Greek style architecture and beautiful exteriors of Chimei Museum
Chimei Museum Permanent/Temporary Exhibition Ticket in Tainan, from S$8.79
8. Discover the history of naval development at Taiwan's first navy museum
Teyang Navy Destroyer Museum Ticket in Tainan, S$3.95
9. Visit the museum with the largest local fossil reserves
Tainan City Zuojhen Fossil Park, S$3.95 (was S$4.39)
10. See the living banyan roots and branches that cover the former warehouse at Anping Tree House
Anping Tree House Admission Ticket, S$1.99 (was S$2.19)
11. Explore the first fort built by the dutch in Anping in 1624
Anping Old Fort Admission Ticket, S$1.99 (was S$2.19)
12. Feel the history of Tainan at Chihkan Tower, also known as Fort Provintia, built by the Dutch in 1635
Chihkan Tower Admission Ticket in Tainan, S$1.99 (was S$2.19)
13. Immerse yourself in Asia's largest VR theme park
Kaohsiung E-Da Theme Park Entry Ticket, from S$28.55 (was S$79.05)
14. Ride a go-kart at Taiwan's first kart-racing theme park
Kaohsiung Suzuka Circuit Park Ticket, from S$13.15 (was S$17.55)
15. Go on a thrilling 5D ride
(5D Visual Flying Theater) i-Ride Kaohsiung Ticket, from S$14.79 (was S$29.89)
16. Learn about the history of Taiwan Railway
Hamasen Museum of Taiwan Railway Admission Ticket in Kaohsiung, from S$6.55
17. Visit the legendary factory that has survived the ups and downs of Taiwan’s stationery industry
FLOMO Stationery Museum and DIY Experience Ticket in Kaohsiung, from S$3.49 (was S$10.99)
Going to Taiwan? Get affordable data plans here: Airalo | Klook We got your back with an exclusive code to get ten per cent off your data plan with Airalo. Simply use code YAHOO10 between 1-31st October 2022. Full terms and conditions here.