Disney makes sweeping changes to its upcoming slate of movies in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Meghan Markle’s first project since stepping back from duties as a senior member of the Royal Family has been released online today.
The Rock revealed that he performs the rap from his 'Moana' song 'You're Welcome' as he washes her hands.
Since Disney+ landed in the UK, its flagship show The Mandalorian has proved a massive hit for sci-fi fans who are now on lockdown to slow the spread of coronavirus.
Bob Iger, the executive chairman and former CEO of Disney, has said that he won't be taking any of his salary during the coronavirus crisis.
Disney’s top two execs — Bob Iger and newly-installed CEO Bob Chapek — will be taking pay cuts while the company weathers the coronavirus pandemic.Iger, who is now executive chairman, will forgo his entire Disney salary, while Chapek will take a 50% pay cut. Other top executives will be taking reduced salaries between 20% and 30% depending on their title. Iger, one of the highest-paid executives in Hollywood, earned $47.5 million during the most recent fiscal year.Early this morning, Disney joined other companies in making deep cuts in salaries for executives. Iger will forego all of his salary. From the company-wide email: pic.twitter.com/8WGjkqYFxy— Brooks Barnes (@brooksbarnesNYT) March 30, 2020Disney did not immediately respond for comment. Last week, Disney extended the closures of its theme parks indefinitely.Also Read: Disney Parks to Remain Closed 'Until Further Notice'Additionally, resort and parks cast members will continue to be paid through April 18. Park closures were first announced on March 13 due to the spread of the coronavirus. Initially, Disney said it will continue to pay its cast members until the end of March. The company also recommended that any employees able to work from home — including those at its film studio and TV business — do so.Disney also raised roughly $6 billion through a debt offering this month.In addition to its theme parks, Disney has suspended cruises and delayed theatrical distribution worldwide as theaters have been ordered to close and people to stay in their homes. Some analysts estimate Disney could lose $500 million just from closing its parks through the end of March, and hundreds of millions more depending on how long the spread of the coronavirus persists.Also Read: Who is Bob Chapek, Disney's New CEO?Disney has also been forced, like many Hollywood film and TV studios, to shut down productions; and the cancellation of other events, such as the NBA, have impacted on the company’s businesses as well.“We expect the ultimate significance of the impact of these disruptions, including the extent of their adverse impact on our financial and operational results, will be dictated by the length of time that such disruptions continue which will, in turn, depend on the currently unknowable duration of the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of governmental regulations that might be imposed in response to the pandemic,” the company said in an SEC filing earlier this month.Read original story Bob Iger to Forgo Disney Salary During Coronavirus Shutdown, CEO Bob Chapek Takes 50% Pay Cut At TheWrap
The composer and song-writer behind Disney classics like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, has finished recording all the new songs for the studio's Little Mermaid remake, he has revealed.
While Disney+'s flagship live-action movie faithfully recreates the beloved spaghetti scene, there's a more problematic song that has been completely erased from the reboot.
Put Baby Yoda to bed, take off your jet-pack, put down your lightsaber, and get ready for the ultimate guide to your next Star Wars viewing party.
British actor Ophelia Lovibond reveals her experiences making Disney+ family comedy 'Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made'.
With episodes such "What is cheese?" we were keen to find out what questions Tony Hale had about life in the UK.
Grace VanderWaal plays the title role in Disney+ YA adaptation 'Stargirl', but she has her own favourite film on the streaming service.
“Shang-Chi” director Destin Daniel Cretton announced Monday that he has tested negative for the coronavirus, and urged his social media followers to “please err on the side of safety and concern for those more vulnerable than you.”Cretton, who is in Australia for the filming of “Shang-Chi,” went into self-isolation last Thursday and the production was placed on hiatus. While Disney said at the time that Cretton took the step out of caution because he has an infant child, the specific event that prompted him to worry wasn’t disclosed at the time. But in a statement posted to Instagram Monday, Cretton said he did so after he became aware that he “was working in close proximity with some people who had potentially been exposed.”Cretton added that during his isolation over the weekend, he had time to consider what he called “a time full of opinions and division, where scientific truths are debated and brushed off as political spins.” Even so, Cretton said he is heartened because “I could see something really quite beautiful happening. People all around the world are beginning to realize how connected we are, how vulnerable we are, how much we need each other to survive.”Also Read: Bored at Home? Here's Where You Can Watch Most of AFI's Top 25 Films (Photos)Cretton wrote that he is happy that he tested negative, but that he “will continue to be even more careful in the days ahead. Because if you believe in good science, and I do, we still have a mountain to climb together. No matter what you believe or how serious you think this problem is, please err on the side of safety and concern for those more vulnerable than you, and remember that having no symptoms doesn’t mean you’re not a carrier.”He concluded, “Please stay hopeful, please stay humble, please stay home. Social distancing is an act of love for yourself, your family, and for every person on this planet. Sending all of you our love from Sydney, Australia.”The good news comes hours after it was announced that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson had been released from the hospital. The couple, who are also in Australia for a now-postponed film shoot, disclosed that they tested positive for coronavirus last Wednesday, a move widely credited with changing world opinion about the seriousness of the illness.Starring Simu Liu in the title role, “Shang-Chi” focuses on Marvel’s Shang-half-Chinese, half-American martial arts superhero created by writer Steve Englehart and artist Jim Starlin. In the comics, Shang-Chi is an extraordinary master of numerous unarmed and weaponry-based wushu styles, including the use of the gun, nunchaku and jian. The film also stars Awkwafina in an unannounced role, and Tony Leung as Marvel villain The Mandarin.Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap. “Shang-Chi” remains on hiatus.Read original story ‘Shang-Chi’ Director Says He’s Tested Negative for Coronavirus: ‘Please Err on the Side of Safety’ At TheWrap
Disney has postponed the releases of “Mulan,” “The New Mutants” and “Antlers” out of “an abundance of caution,” Disney announced Thursday.“As you know this has been a rapidly evolving situation and I wanted to make you aware that we are postponing the releases of ‘Mulan,’ ‘The New Mutants,’ and ‘Antlers’ out of an abundance of caution. We truly believe in the moviegoing experience, and we are looking at new potential 2020 release dates to be announced at a later date,” Disney said in a statement.“Mulan” was supposed to hit theaters March 27, while “The New Mutants” was scheduled for an April 3 release date and “Antlers” was supposed to open April 17.Also Read: 'Mulan' on Track for $80 Million-Plus Opening as Coronavirus Threatens Box Office Hopes“Mulan” was tracking for an $80 million opening weekend even amid the coronavirus scare. Thousands of theaters across China remain closed due to the spread of the novel disease, striking a massive blow to the country’s exhibition industry as the lockdown began at the start of the lucrative Lunar New Year period.On social media, “Mulan” director Niki Caro said, “Our hearts are with everyone the world over who is affected by the virus, and we hope that Mulan’s fighting spirit will continue to inspire those who are working so hard to keep us all safe.”Other films have been affected by the coronavirus scare, including Universal’s “F9,” which was postponed for a year. “A Quiet Place 2” and “The Lovebirds” were canceled,” and “No Time to Die,” the latest Bond entry, was postponed till November.As of Thursday, the CDC reported 1,215 total cases in the United States, with 36 reported deaths.See Caro’s statement below.A message from Mulan Director, Niki Caro. pic.twitter.com/0L3VzAfaeB— Mulan (@DisneysMulan) March 12, 2020Read original story Disney Postpones Releases of ‘Mulan,’ ‘The New Mutants’ and ‘Antlers’ At TheWrap
Disney said on Thursday that it will close its Disney World and Disneyland resort and theme parks in Orlando and Anaheim amid concerns of the novel coronavirus spread in the U.S.Disney said it will continue to pay its cast members while the parks are closed. The company also recommended that any employees able to work from home — including those at its film studio and TV business — do so.Earlier on Thursday, Disney first made the decision to close its parks and resort in California before following that up by closing the Disney World in Florida and Disneyland Paris. The company said earlier in the day that while there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, it was closing in the “best interest of our guests and employees,” beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.Also Read: Disney Postpones Releases of 'Mulan,' 'The New Mutants' and 'Antlers'“In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month,” a Disney spokesperson said after also closing parks in Florida and Paris. “The hotels at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice. The retail and dining complexes, Disney Springs at Walt Disney World and Disney Village at Disneyland Paris, will remain open.“Domestic Walt Disney Company employees who are able to work from home are being asked to do so, including those at The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, ESPN, Direct-to-Consumer, and Parks, Experiences and Products,” the statement continued. “We will continue to stay in close contact with appropriate officials and health experts.”Disney Cruise Line will also suspend all new departures beginning Saturday, March 14, through the end of the month.Disney’s parks, experiences and products division, which includes all of the company’s theme parks, resorts, and cruise lines, is its biggest contributor to revenue. In 2019 the division contributed $26.2 billion to Disney’s overall revenue of $69.6 billion.Also Read: Coronavirus: Twitter Requires All Global Staff Work RemotelyThe last time Disney shut down the park was after the September 11 terrorist attacks, and Disneyland has only closed two other times prior: The national day of mourning after the JFK assassination and after the Northridge Earthquake in 1994, which was one of the most powerful ever recorded in North America.Disney closed its parks in Hong Kong and Shanghai and Japan back in January, though many shops and restaurants at Shanghai Disneyland have since reopened. During the company’s earnings call in February, management said the closure of the two Chinese sites alone would cost the company at least $175 million. “The precise magnitude of the financial impact is highly dependent on the duration of the closures and how quickly we can resume normal operations,” Disney CFO Christine McCarthy told analysts at the time.California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency earlier in the month after the first COVID-19 patient died after falling ill while aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship.Also Read: All the Movies Suspended or Delayed Due to Coronavirus Pandemic (Updating)Late Wednesday, Gov. Newsom, in accordance with new guidelines from the state’s Department of Public Health, asked that all gatherings of more than 250 people be canceled throughout the state in an effort to curtail the spread of the COVID-19 illness caused by the coronavirus.The decision includes almost all sporting events, most concerts, many movie screenings, high volume workplaces, and many restaurants and bars, not to mention film premieres and large scale media events. Though not mandatory, Newsom called on Californians to follow the guidelines through at least the end of March.During a press conference earlier in the day on Thursday — before Disneyland closed — Gov. Newsom said those guidelines would not include the theme park, but that they were having conversations about the situation.The new guidelines, posted Wednesday night, are the strongest measures yet in the state’s efforts to contain the disease that has infected roughly 200 Californians.Read original story Disney World, Disneyland Resorts and Theme Parks to Close Amid Coronavirus Concerns At TheWrap