Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been moved to a different hospital.
"The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition," reads a statement from March 1. "The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week."
Prince Philip has been in the hospital for almost two weeks at this point. Buckingham Palace confirmed he had been admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London in mid-February.
"The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell," read a statement from a palace spokesperson at the time. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."
It is understood that the illness is not COVID-19-related, and that Prince Philip traveled to the hospital by car. It was not an emergency admission, and he walked into the hospital unaided.
A source later confirmed to Town & Country that Philip would "likely" remain in the hospital for a number of days. "Following a consultation with his doctor The Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in the hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week. As we have said previously the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The Duke remains in good spirits."
A few days after Prince Philip entered the hospital, Prince William gave an update on his grandfather: "He's okay," William said during a visit to a vaccine center in Norfolk. "They're keeping an eye on him."
Buckingham Palace then shared that Prince Philip is being treated for an infection.
"The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection. He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days," reads the statement.
Prince Edward further told Sky News that Prince Philip is feeling "a lot better."
"We keep our fingers crossed," he said
BREAKING: Prince Edward has said the royal family are keeping their “fingers crossed” but that his father, the Duke of Edinburgh, is “a lot better” a week after he was admitted to hospital.
Royal correspondent @SkyRhiannon has the latest
Read more: https://t.co/kGhR8i7yb3 pic.twitter.com/DBrtrwpxsR
— Sky News (@SkyNews) February 23, 2021
You Might Also Like