In the true spirit of saving the best for the last, the lucky eighth dish of our Top 8 Chinese New Year Dishes series is a real treat. Presenting home cook Shirley’s (A.K.A Luxury Haven) luxurious and delicious recipe for Fortune Braised Mushrooms with Abalones!
As Chinese New Year is one of the biggest festivals across Asia, this is when most households bring out and splurge on luxurious ingredients. And one of the special foods of CNY we always look forward to are abalones!
Not only are abalones a delicacy, they also represent wealth and abundance as in Mandarin 鲍鱼 (bao yu) also sounds like “to carry surplus”. Hence, abalones are an auspicious ingredient to have and a must-have on the traditional CNY menu.
So, if you are wondering what to prepare for reunion dinner this 2020, here’s an easy CNY recipe for you.
Fortune Braised Mushrooms and Abalones
There are many different types of abalone products available in the market, but Fortune is a prominent trustable brand.
Firm and succulent, the Fortune Baby Abalones (http://www.fortunerecipe.com.sg/product/fortune-baby-abalone.html) are just exquisite and true to the brand’s reputation for fresh and high-quality seafood!
With each can containing 8-10 pieces, these are perfect for CNY where we can share or gift them to our friends and family. Afterall, nothing strengthens relationships better than sharing a delicious meal together!
Fortune Baby Abalones
The baby abalones are firm, juicy, and delicious!
Here are the ingredients that you will need: Fortune Baby Abalones, dried Chinese mushrooms, blanched bok choy, fatt choy or black moss, goji berries, ginger, spring onion, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, sesame oil, cornflour, water, rice wine, and hua diao chiew.
The first step for this dish is to prepare and marinate the mushrooms.
In a bowl, add all the mushroom marinade ingredients and the mushrooms and mix well. Set aside to let the mushrooms marinate for 15 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and its marinade ingredients into a bowl
Mix well and let them marinate for 15 minutes
After 15 minutes, stir fry the mushrooms and abalones.
In a pot, heat up some oil and add the mushrooms. Stir fry for three minutes.
Stir fry the mushrooms in a pot
Pour in the abalone stock then cover with a lid to let the mushrooms simmer for five minutes.
Pour in the abalone stock and cover to let simmer
Simmer the mushrooms for 5 minutes
Once done, add in the abalones, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Give it a good mix and let the sauce come to a boil then remove the abalones.
Add the baby abalones, oyster sauce, and sesame oil and mix well
When the sauce is boiling, remove the abalones
Add the goji berries to the pot and stir fry for one minute. Remove the mushrooms and goji berries from the pot.
Add the goji berries to the pot
Stir fry for a minute then remove the mushrooms and goji berries
Next, steam the black moss.
Place the pre-soaked black moss onto a steaming plate and place it in a steamer.
Place the plate of black moss into a steamer
Lay the ginger and spring onions on the black moss and pour the rice wine over it. Steam the black moss for 20 minutes. Once done, discard the ginger and spring onions. Set the black moss aside.
Add the ginger, spring onions, and rice wine then steam for 20 minutes
The next step is to make the sauce.
In a frying pan, add all the sauce ingredients, except cornflour water. Stir to mix well with a spatula.
Add all the sauce ingredients into a pan
Stir to mix well
Pour in the cornflour water while constantly stirring the sauce. When the sauce has thickened, remove the sauce from the heat.
Add cornflour water to the sauce while stirring
When the sauce has thickened, remove from heat
Lastly, plate the dish.
Arrange the bok choy on a round serving plate with the stems fanning outwards. Place the black moss in the centre of the dish then arrange the mushrooms, abalones, and goji berries on top of the black moss. Drizzle the sauce over the ingredients and serve.
Serve your Fortune Braised Mushrooms and Abalones!
Get the recipe here!
Fortune Braised Mushrooms & Abalones
Servings 8 people
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
- 1can Fortune Baby Abalones
- 1/4cup abalone stockfrom can
- 8 dried chinese mushroomssoaked overnight
- 250g bok choycut into halves lengthwise and blanched
- 1tbsp goji berries
- 1tsp oyster sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 10g black moss/fatt choysoaked and drained
- 6slices ginger
- 2stalks spring onion
- 1tbsp rice wine
Marinade for mushrooms
- 1tsp oyster sauce
- 1tsp gingerminced
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2tbsp oyster sauce
- 1tbsp light soya sauce
- 120ml water
- 1/2tsp dark soya sauce
- 1tbsp hua diao chiew
- cornflour water1 tbsp cornflour + 1 tbsp water
- In a bowl, add all the mushroom and mushroom marinade ingredients and mix well. Let them marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour in abalone stock, cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the abalones, oyster sauce and sesame oil into wok. When sauce starts to boil, remove abalones and them set aside.
- Add in goji berries and stir fry for 1 minute. Transfer the mushrooms and goji berries to a plate and set aside.
- Place the black moss on a steaming plate and put the plate into a steamer.
- Lay the ginger and spring onions on top of the black moss and add the rice wine
- Steam for 20 minutes
- Heat a frying pan on low heat and add all the sauce ingredients, except the cornflour water. Stir to mix well
- Pour in the cornflour water to the sauce while stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Arrange blanched bok choy to fan out in a circle on a serving plate, leaves in the centre of the plate. Place the black moss on top of the leaves and arrange the mushrooms and abalones on top of the black moss.
- Drizzle the sauce over the dish and serve hot.