Michelin has awarded its Bib Gourmand award to 50 eateries this year in its annual food guide for Singapore, and hawker food dominated the list with more than 20 entries.
The restaurant ranker gave the Bib Gourmand to 12 more food establishments this year compared to last year’s 38 (see below for full list). The awardees highlight Singapore’s culinary diversity and affirm its reputation as a melting pot of world cuisine, said Michelin in its announcement on Wednesday (18 July).
There were 17 new entrants to the list of eateries, selected by Michelin’s food reviewers for their value for money for serving quality dishes priced at a maximum of S$45.
The Bib Gourmand distinction recognises more affordable foods compared to the more prestigious Michelin star awards. The full guide, including the list of Michelin-starred restaurants, will be released on 25 July.
Two popular restaurants made their debut on the Bib Gourmand list this year: Muthu’s Curry in Little India, known for its fish head curry, and The Coconut Club in Ann Siang Hill, known for its nasi lemak.
Other new entrants include Rolina Traditional Hainanese Curry Puff at Tanjong Pagar Food Centre, Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood in Geylang, Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow at Old Airport Road Food Centre, and Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice in Holland Drive.
Five eateries were dropped from the Bib Gourmand list this year: 328 Katong Laksa, Peony Jade, Shish Mahal, Liang Zhao Ji Duck Rice and Tsuta.
The Michelin Guide sends inspectors to select the best restaurants and hotels in 30 countries it covers, highlighting new trends and emerging young chefs in each culinary scene. Its awards are among the most prestigious in the global food scene.
Michelin Bib Gourmand Awardees 2018
1. A Noodle Story
2. Alliance Seafood
3. Ah Er Soup (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
4. Balestier Road Hoover Rojak
5. Bar-Roque Grill
6. Bismillah Biryani
7. Chai Chuan Tou Yang Rou Tang (Bukit Merah View Food Centre) – New Entry
8. Chey Sua Carrot Cake
9. Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre) – New Entry
10. Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa
11. Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood (Geylang Road Lorong 19) – New Entry
12. Famous Sungei Road Trickshaw Laksa
13. Fresh Taste Big Prawn Noodle (Zion Riverside Food Centre) – New Entry
14. Heng (Newton Food Centre) – New Entry
15. Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee
16. Hong Kee Beef Noodle
17. Hong Kong Yummy Soup (Alexandra Village Food Centre) – New Entry
18. Hoo Kee Bak Chang
19. J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff
20. Ka-Soh (Outram Park)
21. Kok Sen Restaurant
23. Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow (Old Airport Road Food Centre) – New Entry
24. Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice (Chinatown Complex) – New Entry
25. Liao Fan Hawker Chan (78 Smith Street)
26. Man Man (Tanjong Pagar)
27. Muthu’s Curry (Little India) – New Entry
28. Na Na Homemade Curry (Bukit Merah)
29. New Lucky Claypot Rice
30. New Ubin Seafood (Bukit Batok)
31. Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre) – New Entry
32. Rolina Traditional Hainanese Curry Puff (Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market & Food Centre) – New Entry
33. Shi Hui Yuan (Queenstown)
34. Shi Wei Da (Fengshan Market and Food Centre) – New Entry
35. Sik Bao Sin (Desmond’s Creation) – New Entry
36. Sin Huat Eating House
37. Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice (Holland Drive) – New Entry
38. Song Fa Bak Kut Teh (New Bridge Road)
39. Tai Wah Pork Noodle (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre) – New Entry
40. The Blue Ginger
41. The Coconut Club – New Entry
42. Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (Maxwell Food Centre)
43. Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice (Tiong Bahru Food Centre)
44. Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee (ABC Brickworks Food Centre) – New Entry
45. Shirokane Tori-tama
46. True Blue Cuisine
47. Whole Earth
48. Yhingtai Palace
49. Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast)
50. Zai Shun Curry Fish Head
Follow Yahoo Lifestyle Singapore on Facebook.