Tony Awards Won't Air Ceremony As Scheduled Amid Writers Strike
The Tony Awards won’t broadcast this year’s ceremony as scheduled after the Writers Guild of America denied a requested waiver that would have allowed for the show to air amid an ongoing writers strike.
The Hollywood Reporter and Variety both reported that the 2023 event will not be televised from New York’s United Palace on June 11 as planned. A Tonys committee is set to meet Monday to consider next steps following the union’s decision on the strike waiver, the outlets said.
HuffPost has reached out to the Tonys for comment.
The news comes as roughly 11,500 film and TV members of the WGA, both East and West, strike for improved wages and other demands. (HuffPost’s unionized employees are also members of the WGAE.)
The Tonys had announced this year’s nominees on May 2 — the day that guild writers went on strike.
“Some Like It Hot” earned 13 nods, the most of any production this year. Other nominees include “& Juliet,” “Shucked,” “Kimberly Akimbo” and “A Doll’s House” featuring Jessica Chastain.
This is not the first time that the ceremony has failed to air in June as expected. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Tonys put off its 2020 show until September 2021. In 1992, the ceremony aired on May 31.
The WGA strike has impacted other awards shows as well. Last week, Drew Barrymore dropped out of hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards, with the live show then called off by MTV soon after.
In a statement, Barrymore voiced her support for the striking writers.
“Everything we celebrate and honor about movies and television is born out of their creation,” she said.