The coronavirus has wrecked havoc on Hollywood’s release schedule, as multiple blockbusters-to-be have had their release dates postponed by as much as a year or canceled indefinitely. We're tracking the latest news on when you’ll be able to see major movies at a theater — or, in some cases, a streaming service — near you.
Mulan's long-awaited debut in China has stumbled at the box office, bringing in just $23 million - around £17.8 million - over its opening weekend.
It’s a good week for both new films as well as mind-bending fiction, as the latest digital cinema offerings include a mixture of works that are expansive either in scope or in concept.
Jet Li, whose name is synonymous with martial arts, said that he signed up for Mulan at the insistence of his 15-year-old daughter, Jada.
News that Disney is preparing to release its remake of Mulan on the Disney+ streaming service is a potential game-changer.
As COVID-19 infections continue to surge in U.S. states, Disney announced on Thursday that it is indefinitely postponing the release of Niki Caro’s remake of “Mulan,” effectively ending hopes of salvaging the summer blockbuster season.“Over the last few months, it’s become clear that nothing can be set in stone when it comes to how we release films during this global health crisis, and today that means pausing our release plans for ‘Mulan’ as we assess how we can most effectively bring this film to audiences around the world,” the studio said in a statement.In addition, all scheduled “Avatar” sequels and “Star Wars” films have been delayed one year, and other films set to be released by Disney, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight in September and October have also been pushed back, including Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch,” which Searchlight has now indefinitely postponed.Also Read: 'Tenet' Delayed Again to Unnamed 2020 DateOther films moved include 20th Century’s “The Empty Man,” which moves from August 7 to December 4; Ridley Scott’s “The Last Duel,” which moves from a Christmas Day limited release to October 15, 2021; and Searchlight’s “The Personal History of David Copperfield,” which now gets a limited release on August 28.James Cameron released a statement to Twitter explaining the delay of the “Avatar” films, saying that though some live-action filming is proceeding in New Zealand, the virtual production work on stages in Los Angeles makes it impossible for the team to make its December 2021 release date.“That work is just as critical to the films as the live action work,” Cameron wrote. “There is no one more disappointed about this delay than me.”Also Read: Why Warner Bros. Should Reconsider Releasing 'Tenet' for Streaming on HBO MaxCameron’s four “Avatar” sequels, which are now over a decade removed from the original film, are now slated up through 2028, with “Avatar 5” meant to hit theaters on Dec. 22, 2028.As it stands, the next films on the release slate for Disney and 20th Century are “The New Mutants,” which has long been delayed well before the coronavirus pandemic, and Searchlight’s “The Personal History of David Copperfield,” both set for Aug. 28.Disney has also given a release date to “Antlers,” which since the pandemic started has been undated. The horror film from Scott Cooper and producer Guillermo del Toro will open on Feb. 19, 2021, after originally being slated for release in April. “The Woman in the Window,” a psychological thriller starring Amy Adams and from 20th Century, however, is still undated. “Death on the Nile,” the follow up to “Murder on the Orient Express” from Kenneth Branagh, has also shifted two weeks to Oct. 23, 2020.Also Read: AMC Shifts Theater Reopening Schedule After 'Mulan,' 'Tenet' MoveUntouched as of yet on the release slate from the previous shuffle of the slate are the MCU movies, with Phase 4 still planning to kick off on Nov. 6, 2020 with “Black Widow.” Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” will also open Nov. 20, 2020 as previously planned.The shift of “Mulan” off the release slate follows the move of “Tenet” by Warner Bros. on Monday. That film along with “Mulan” were both meant to be blockbusters among the first to return to movie theaters in the late summer that could help spur audiences back to theater chains, all of which mostly remain closed. AMC in particular has pushed back its phased opening until mid-August as it awaits other Hollywood product that can lure audiences back.Warner Bros. said that “Tenet” would open at some point this year, but the studio also said that it would do so unconventionally, opening the door to the possibility that “Tenet” could open internationally or overseas before it is able to open domestically, as well as the possibility that the movie may not open in every city at once in a wide release.Read original story Disney Removes ‘Mulan’ From Slate, Pushes ‘Avatar’ and ‘Star Wars’ Films Back One Year At TheWrap
As COVID-19 infections continue to rise in cities across the U.S., Disney announced that it has once again moved the release date of “Mulan,” now opening August 21, striking a major blow to the movie theater industry’s hope for a strong summer reopening.“While the pandemic has changed our release plans for ‘Mulan’ and we will continue to be flexible as conditions require, it has not changed our belief in the power of this film and its message of hope and perseverance,” Disney Studios Co-Chairmen Alan Bergman and Alan Horn said in a statement. “Director Niki Caro and our cast and crew have created a beautiful, epic, and moving film that is everything the cinematic experience should be, and that’s where we believe it belongs – on the world stage and the big screen for audiences around the globe to enjoy together.”The film’s release was first moved to July 24 from its original March date. This second push means that Warner Bros.’ “Tenet” is once again scheduled to be the first major studio film to be released since the pandemic started, having previously moved from July 17 to July 31 and then again this week to August 12.Also Read: How Andrew Cuomo Could Undo Hollywood's Theater Reopening PlansAnalysts and insiders told TheWrap that a date change for “Mulan” had become increasingly likely as the pandemic seemed to worsen in recent weeks. And it became a near-certainty after Disney announced on Wednesday that it was backing off plans to reopen Disneyland on July 17. Since Disney films and theme parks both rely on families, one analyst said that Disney might be worried about appearing “irresponsible” by encouraging groups with young children to buy tickets when the number of new infections continues to rise in cities, such as Los Angeles.“I don’t know how Disney could say it’s, go to their movies but not the parks,” Exhibitor Relations analyst Jeff Bock told TheWrap. “With so many other family films like ‘Scoob!’ and ‘The Spongebob Movie’ moving, the optics are getting worse for releasing family films for theaters, especially with the pandemic getting worse.”There has also been uncertainty over whether major markets will even have theaters open by late July. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently announced an indefinite delay in the reopening of movie theaters, malls, gyms and other non-essential indoor businesses in order to study how the virus can spread in those areas. In China, a critical market for “Mulan” at the overseas box office, government officials backed off of plans to reopen theaters in Beijing earlier this month, and no new plans have been announced on a timetable to reopen theaters.The National Association of Theater Owners and major chains like AMC and Cinemark have yet to comment on Disney’s decision to move “Mulan.” For now, the first movie set to release in theaters nationwide is “Unhinged,” a thriller from newcomer studio Solstice that stars Russell Crowe and is set for a July 10 release. One week later, Warner Bros. will do a 10th-anniversary re-release of “Inception,” which will feature an introduction from director Christopher Nolan and sneak peek footage of “Tenet.” Nolan has been publicly adamant about using “Tenet” to help movie theaters recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, and signs point to Warner moving forward with its release as TV spots promoting the film have begun appearing.Read original story Disney’s ‘Mulan’ Pushed to Late August as New COVID Cases Continue to Rise At TheWrap
The boss of Disney has said that more of its movies could circumvent cinemas as they remain shuttered around the world due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Disney makes sweeping changes to its upcoming slate of movies in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Bob Iger, the executive chairman and former CEO of Disney, has said that he won't be taking any of his salary during the coronavirus crisis.
Chinese authorities have re-opened a swathe of cinemas across the country, after cases of coronavirus have seemingly receded.
New York and Los Angeles have both taken the decision to close cinemas, to stop gatherings of people in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.