The studio has issued a statement saying it wants to support the industry by releasing the film into cinemas.
Regal Cinemas owner Cineworld is closing all of the chain’s locations in the U.S. as well as its theaters in the U.K. in the wake of MGM and Universal’s decision to delay the release of “No Time to Die” until next year, according to Variety.The new closures, set to take effect as soon as next week, come just a few months after the company began reopening its locations amid the coronavirus pandemic earlier this summer. Cineworld operates 128 venues in the U.K. and Ireland in addition to Regal’s 546 theaters in the U.S. consisting of 7,211 screens.Regal is the second largest theatrical chain in the U.S., after AMC, while Cineworld is the U.K.’s biggest cinema operator. Cineworld reported a loss of a $1. 6 billion in the first half of 2020 in recent days, with “no certainty” as to what impact the pandemic could have in the future.According to the Sunday Times, which first reported news of the Cineworld U.K. closures, the move puts up to 5,500 jobs at risk in that country alone.Also Read: James Bond Film 'No Time to Die' Moves Release Date Again to 2021The decision to close its locations comes a day after MGM and Universal announced that the latest James Bond film, “No Time to Die” would be pushed back again, with a statement from the filmmakers citing a need for the film “to be seen by a worldwide theatrical audience.”“No Time to Die” was initially set to hit theaters last April, but due to the coronavirus pandemic, it was moved to Nov. 20, then Nov. 25, and now to next April.Following Disney’s move to change release dates for many of its films — most notably “Black Widow,” which was set for release on Nov. 6 but was moved to summer 2021 — the loss of “No Time to Die” leaves theaters with a dearth of major releases for the remaining months of 2020.Also Read: AMC Theatres Credit Rating Downgraded Again by S&P Global, With Default ImminentLast month, Cineworld reported a $1.6 billion loss in the first half of 2020, with group revenues sinking to $712.4 million from $2.15 billion in the first six months of 2019. The company said at the time it had been able to reopen 561 of its 778 locations worldwide.“If governments were to strengthen restrictions on social gathering, which may therefore oblige us to close our estate again or further push back movie releases, it would have a negative impact on our financial performance and likely require the need to raise additional liquidity,” the company said.Read original story Regal Cinemas Parent Cineworld to Close All Theaters in US and UK At TheWrap
Boris Johnson has announced that face coverings will be legally required in cinemas in England from 8 August.
Strange times call for strange movies suddenly topping the UK box office, decades after they were first released.
Staff at Cineworld are petitioning the owners of the chain for customers to wear masks when venues re-open in July.
Cineworld has expanded its multiplex at the Millennium Dome, adding 8 new screens, to make it London’s biggest cinema.The cinema chain held a gala opening at its Greenwich Peninsula location, the Cineworld at The O2, last night to celebrate the expansion which includes three new VIP screening rooms and a 4DX auditorium.The cinema now boasts 4,500 seats across 19 screens, complementing the existing Superscreen and ScreenX immersive technologies, making it “one of the UK’s most technologically advanced cinemas” according to the blurb.The biggest cinema in the UK is the Vue at Star City in Birmingham, which has 25 screens and over 5,000 seats.David Spence, General Manager of Cineworld at The O2 said: “We are delighted to offer Londoners a vast world of viewing possibilities with the latest in cinema technology. From extreme cinema with snow, fog and water alongside chairs that vibrate and move, to supreme comfort with reclining seats and complimentary dining. We are excited to represent the future of entertainment and cinema in UK.”Read more: UK’s first Dolby Cinema opens in London
The cinema chain Cineworld has withdrawn its support from BAFTA, following wins for the streaming movie Roma at this year's awards.
A special screening of the new Mamma Mia movie arranged for a fan who suffers from dementia was a huge success after being held at a cinema in Newport.
The ‘Blair Witch’ is back… and this time, you can feel it. It’s been 17 years since the original ‘Blair Witch Project’ appeared in cinemas, and a lot has changed. The first film was a viral sensation, leveraging creepy ‘missing persons’ flyers and rumours that this film might just be the real deal to create a truly immersive experience.
We’ve all heard nightmare tales from friends and family about an unpleasant cinema experience they’ve had. Whether it’s people talking loudly, phones going off, or worse - but it appears no one is inclined to complain at the time.
UPDATE: The UK distributors of ‘The Hateful Eight’ have revealed that a dispute over the exclusive rights to show the extended 70mm “Roadshow” presentation of Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming western is the reason the film won’t be coming to Cineworld, Curzon, and Picturehouse cinemas when it’s released this Friday. The statement on the Guardian reads: “Cineworld had made us aware that they were very unhappy that The Hateful Eight had been booked into the Odeon Leicester Square for an exclusive 70mm Ultra Panavision presentation, and specifically that they would therefore not be able to play the film at their Picturehouse Central venue. Due to the special facilities required for the unique 70mm Ultra Panavision presentation we needed the largest theatre and screen possible in the West End and the Odeon Leicester Square was the natural choice.