Her Balanghay trophy could have been a sweet reminder of her excellent performance in her first indie film, but “Ekstra” lead star Vilma Santos was not there to receive it when the Cinemalaya proclaimed her Best Actress in awards rites held Sunday, August 4, at the Nicanor Abelardo Theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
Hannah Espia’s “Transit” and Jerrold Tarog’s “Sana Dati,” which won a total of ten and eight awards, respectively, got most of the awards for the New Breed and Directors’ Showcase categories. Both filmmakers and their movies won Best Direction and Best Picture trophies.
In the New Breed segment, “Quick Change” transgender star Mimi Juareza won Best Actor, while “Transit” star Irma Adlawan won Best Actress. “Babagwa” actor Joey Paras and “Transit” star Jasmine Curtis-Smith went home with the Best Supporting Actor and Actress Balanghay trophies.
In the Directors' Showcase, the Cinemalaya jury led by Ditsi Carolino, Carlitos Siguion-Reyna and Peque Gallaga decided not to award the Best Actor trophy in the ninth edition of the independent film festival.
Meanwhile, “Sana Dati” actor TJ Trinidad and “Ekstra” star Ruby Ruiz were proclaimed Best Supporting Actor and Best Actress, respectively.
According to festival president Nestor Jardin, the 9th Cinemalaya, which attracted 75,776 moviegoers as against last year’s 66,910, saw a 13 percent growth in audience attendance.
He had good news for seasoned and aspiring filmmakers -- the deadline of submission for New Breed and Directors’ Showcase scripts has been moved to Sept. 13.
The 10th Cinemalaya Film Festival is slated on August 1 to 10 next year. More cinemas at the Ayala Malls are expected to carry the festival movies.
The honor roll:
• Best Screenplay - Paolo O'Hara
• Special Jury Citation - Sa Wakas
• Special Jury Prize – Taya
• Audience Choice Award - Taya
• Best Direction - John Eric Tiglao (Onang)
• Best Picture - The Houseband's Wife
• Best Sound - Roger TJ Ladro* (Sana Dati)
• Best Original Score - Roger TJ Ladro* (Sana Dati)
• Best Editing - Patts Rano (Sana Dati)
• Best Prod Design - Ericson Navarro (Sana Dati)
• Best Cinematography - Mackie Galvez (Sana Dati)
• Best Screenplay - Zig Dulay/Antoinette Jadaone/Jeffrey Jetturian (Ekstra)
• Best Supporting Performance by an Actor - TJ Trinidad (Sana Dati)
• Best Supporting Performance by an Actress - Ruby Ruiz (Ekstra)
• Best Performance by an Actor - No winner
• Best Performance by an Actress - Vilma Santos (Ekstra)
• Special Jury Prize – Ekstra
• Audience Choice Award - Ekstra
• Netpac Award - Ekstra
• Best Direction - Jerrold Tarog (Sana Dati)
• Best Film - Sana Dati
*alias of director Jerrold Tarog
NEW BREED CATEGORY
• Best Sound - Michael Idioma (Quick Change)
• Best Original Music Score - Mon Espia (Transit)
• Best Editing - Benjamin Tolentino/Hannah Espia (Transit)
• Best Production Design - Roy Red (Rekorder)
• Best Cinematography - Ber Cruz/Lyle Nemenzo Sacris (Transit)
• Best Screenplay - Eduardo Roy (Quick Change)
• Best Supporting Performance by an Actor - Joey Paras (Babagwa)
• Best Supporting Performance by an Actress - Jasmine Curtis-Smith (Transit)
• Best Performance by an Actor - Mimi Juareza (Quick Change)
• Best Performance by an Actress - Irma Adlawan (Transit)
• Audience Choice Award - Transit
• Special Jury Citation – Whole Cast of Transit
• Special Jury Prize - Quick Change
• Netpac Award - New Breed Category - Transit
• Best Direction - Hannah Espia (Transit)
• Best Picture - Transit