Bob Iger, the executive chairman and former CEO of Disney, has said that he won't be taking any of his salary during the coronavirus crisis.
Disney’s top two execs — Bob Iger and newly-installed CEO Bob Chapek — will be taking pay cuts while the company weathers the coronavirus pandemic.Iger, who is now executive chairman, will forgo his entire Disney salary, while Chapek will take a 50% pay cut. Other top executives will be taking reduced salaries between 20% and 30% depending on their title. Iger, one of the highest-paid executives in Hollywood, earned $47.5 million during the most recent fiscal year.Early this morning, Disney joined other companies in making deep cuts in salaries for executives. Iger will forego all of his salary. From the company-wide email: pic.twitter.com/8WGjkqYFxy— Brooks Barnes (@brooksbarnesNYT) March 30, 2020Disney did not immediately respond for comment. Last week, Disney extended the closures of its theme parks indefinitely.Also Read: Disney Parks to Remain Closed 'Until Further Notice'Additionally, resort and parks cast members will continue to be paid through April 18. Park closures were first announced on March 13 due to the spread of the coronavirus. Initially, Disney said it will continue to pay its cast members until the end of March. The company also recommended that any employees able to work from home — including those at its film studio and TV business — do so.Disney also raised roughly $6 billion through a debt offering this month.In addition to its theme parks, Disney has suspended cruises and delayed theatrical distribution worldwide as theaters have been ordered to close and people to stay in their homes. Some analysts estimate Disney could lose $500 million just from closing its parks through the end of March, and hundreds of millions more depending on how long the spread of the coronavirus persists.Also Read: Who is Bob Chapek, Disney's New CEO?Disney has also been forced, like many Hollywood film and TV studios, to shut down productions; and the cancellation of other events, such as the NBA, have impacted on the company’s businesses as well.“We expect the ultimate significance of the impact of these disruptions, including the extent of their adverse impact on our financial and operational results, will be dictated by the length of time that such disruptions continue which will, in turn, depend on the currently unknowable duration of the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of governmental regulations that might be imposed in response to the pandemic,” the company said in an SEC filing earlier this month.Read original story Bob Iger to Forgo Disney Salary During Coronavirus Shutdown, CEO Bob Chapek Takes 50% Pay Cut At TheWrap
Tom Holland insists he wasn't "lying on the floor totally drunk" on a pivotal call with Disney CEO Bob Iger. And then Chris Pratt chimes in.
'The Rise of Skywalker' brings the main 'Star Wars' saga to an end after more than 40 years, leaving many questions about what comes next.
Holland admitted to being drunk and crying while talking on the phone to Disney CEO Bob Iger about Spider-Man.
Rowans Hospice in Hampshire reached out to Disney CEO Bob Iger on Twitter to organise the special early screening of the 'Star Wars' blockbuster.
Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that he plans to put the Star Wars movies into a 'hiatus' after the release of episode nine, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
Disney CEO Bob Iger was the latest to leap to the defense of Marvel movies in the recent civil war among filmmakers over the blockbusters, pointing to Ryan Coogler’s Best Picture-nominated “Black Panther” as worthy as being called “cinema” as any film Martin Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have made.Iger got heated on the subject as part of the WSJ Tech Live event Tuesday night after both Scorsese, Coppola and a handful of other auteur filmmakers have criticized the movies, with Coppola most recently calling the films “despicable.”“I’m puzzled by it. If they want to bitch about movies it’s certainly their right. It seems so disrespectful to all the people who work on those films who are working just as hard as the people who are working on their films and are putting their creative souls on the line just like they are,” Iger said of filmmakers’ comments. “Are you telling me that Ryan Coogler making ‘Black Panther’ is doing something that somehow or another is less than anything Marty Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have ever done on any one of their movies? Come on.”Also Read: Jon Favreau on Scorsese and Coppola's Marvel Criticism: 'They Can Express Whatever Opinion They Like'Iger says he holds Coppola and Scorsese in “the highest regard,” but he took issue with Coppola’s characterization of the films as “despicable,” and that he’d only reserve that word “for someone who had committed mass murder.”“When Francis uses the words ‘those films are despicable,’ to whom is he talking? Is he talking to Kevin Feige who runs Marvel, or Taika Waititi who directs or Ryan Coogler who directs for us or Scarlett Johansson,” Iger said. “I don’t get what they’re criticizing us for when we’re making films that people are obviously enjoying going to because they’re doing so by the millions.”Scorsese recently doubled down on his comments when he said that Marvel movies were not cinema and compared them to “theme parks.” He ultimately said that Marvel’s films were “invading” movie theaters and replacing what young people’s idea of cinema is, even driving out smaller films and more human stories from the popular culture.Also Read: After Coppola Slam, James Gunn Defends Marvel Movies as Cinema (Again)Ken Loach, the British director behind “Kes” and the recent “Sorry We Missed You,” more specifically attacked the commercialism of Marvel films rather than their content specifically.“They’re made as commodities like hamburgers, and it’s not about communicating, and it’s not about sharing our imagination,” Loach told Sky News. “It’s about making a commodity which will make a profit for a big corporation – they’re a cynical exercise. They’re a market exercise, and it has nothing to do with the art of cinema. William Blake said, ‘When money is discussed, art is impossible.'”Iger however had a response for that as well, saying that there’s a mutual benefit in the success of the Marvel films and other blockbusters that allows movie theaters to exhibit movies that otherwise wouldn’t be as financially successful.Check out Iger’s full comments via WSJ.Read original story Bob Iger Compares ‘Black Panther’ to Scorsese and Coppola Films in Defense of Marvel Movies At TheWrap
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, has said that if Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola 'want to bitch about movies, that's certainly their right'.
It looks like Tom Holland is getting used to saving the day.After the reported split between Disney and Sony that would’ve separated the Spider-Man franchise from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Disney CEO Bob Iger explained that it was Holland, Spider-Man himself, who helped the two companies come to a deal again.Iger was a guest on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Thursday night talking about his new memoir “The Ride of a Lifetime,” and Jimmy Kimmel asked if it was true that Holland was responsible for getting Marvel and Sony to come together. Iger said that bringing Spider-Man back into the fold happened “miraculously,” and that Holland really was part of the conversation.Also Read: Bob Iger: George Lucas 'Felt Betrayed' When Disney Didn't Use His 'Star Wars' Sequel Plans“It was clear that the fans wanted Tom back as Spider-Man, made by Marvel and our Marvel production team,” Iger told the ABC late-night host. “It was clear that he cared so much, and we care about him. And he’s a great Spider-Man, isn’t he? I felt for him, and it was clear the fans wanted this to happen.”Here’s how it went down. Holland was at Disney’s D23 event for a panel on the upcoming Pixar movie he stars in alongside Chris Pratt called “Onward.” At that event, Holland addressed the news of the split between Sony and Marvel by saying, “It’s been a long week … But I just want to let you all know … I love you 3000.”What we didn’t see was that Holland then requested Iger’s contact information and got in touch with the Disney boss to see what could be done to patch things up. Iger even joked that Holland cried on the phone, which didn’t actually happen. But Iger then called the head of Sony and said “we’ve got to figure out a way to get this done.”Also Read: Disney Chief Bob Iger Says 'It Wasn't Right' to Stay on Apple's Board“Like two divorced parents coming together and figuring it out,” Kimmel said. “Sometimes companies when they’re negotiating, or other people are negotiating, they forget there are other people who actually matter,” Iger responded.It truly was a scary month or so there. In August, the Sony and Marvel partnership, which has resulted in the $880.2 million-grossing “Spider-Man: Homecoming” film and the $1.1 billion “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” ended. Marvel bailed on the arrangement over a dispute regarding the financing of future films, an insider told TheWrap at the time.But that ended late last month, and the two additional Spider-Man films that are still in development, including the next one slated for release on July 16, 2021, are both set to star Tom Holland and be directed by Jon Watts. As part of the renewed agreement, Spider-Man will also appear in a future Marvel Studios film. Amy Pascal will also produce through Pascal Pictures, as she did on the first two films.Watch Iger’s full clip above.Read original story Bob Iger Explains How Tom Holland Saved Spider-Man in the Marvel-Sony Partnership (Video) At TheWrap
Marvel Entertainment had issues with diversity before Kevin Feige and Iger put the team in its place.
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, has admitted that the studio has released too many Star Wars movies too quickly.
George Lucas was famously edged out of the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, after he sold his Lucasfilm firm to Disney in 2012.
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, has said that he believes the House of Mouse would have merged with Apple had founder Steve Jobs not passed away.
Disney has defended the multi-million dollar salaries it pays its top executives, following an excoriating editorial from Abigail Disney.
There will be a break in the Star Wars movies after the release of Star Wars: Episode IX later this year, Disney boss Bob Iger has confirmed.
The multi-billion dollar deal is within a week of closing, putting much of 21st Century Fox under the Disney umbrella.
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, has said that 40 percent of the movies on the studio's upcoming slate are being directed by women.
Many put the failure of Solo: A Star Wars Story at the box office – the first Star Wars movie to flop – down to over saturation of the franchise following its purchase by Disney.
While the merger of Disney and Fox might bring the X-Men and the Avengers together, it could also costs thousands of people their jobs, according to business analysts.
Disney head Bob Iger has provided an update on the future of the ‘Star Wars’ franchise, insisting that he’s already held discussions with Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy for what’s to come after ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’. “I had a meeting yesterday with Kathy Kennedy and we mapped out – well, we reviewed – the ‘Star Wars’ plans that we have ‘til 2020,” he admitted.
Don’t hold your breath for Marvel to jump on the R-rated superhero movie bandwagon. In the wake of the unexpectedly large success of ‘Deadpool’ - $619 million worldwide, and counting - some studios are now wondering if adult-oriented is the way to go on future superhero movies. Most notably, there have been hints that 20th Century Fox may aim for R-ratings on the third ‘Wolverine’ solo film and ‘X-Men’ spin-off ‘X-Force,’ whilst Warner Bros have promised a more violent R-rated director’s cut of ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’ on DVD.