Mee pok lovers gather around! Traditionally, the yummy flat noodles are used in local hawker dishes such as bak chor mee (minced meat noodles) or fishball noodles. But today, home cook Hidaya shows us how to get deliciously creative with mee pok in her recipe for Spicy Bean Paste Noodle! Inspired by mapo tofu, this halal mee pok dish has a delicious gravy made savoury from the minced beef with a spicy kick from the chilli broad bean paste.
Spicy bean paste noodle
With Kwong Cheong Thye’s MY NOODLE Mee Pok, you can prepare the dish in next to no time. The instant mee pok noodles are quick and easy to cook and you can customise the dish with your favourite ingredients! This sure beats ordering ta bao or take away from the nearest coffeeshop!
Kwong Cheong Thye’s MY NOODLE Mee Pok
Here are the ingredients used: Minced beef, French beans, spicy bean sauce, black bean paste, chilli powder, light soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cornflour mixture, salt, pepper, water, spring onions, and KCT MY NOODLE Mee Pok.
The first step is to prepare the spicy bean sauce.
In a wok, heat up some oil and stir fry the minced beef for 5-10 mins or until it is about ¾ cooked through.
Stir fry the minced beef until 3/4 cooked
Add the french beans, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, spicy bean sauce, black bean paste, light soy sauce, salt, pepper, and water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
Add the french beans and other ingredients to the minced beef
Stir fry for 5 minutes on low heat
Add in the cornflour mixture and mix well to thicken the sauce. Once thickened, remove the spicy bean sauce from the heat.
Add cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce
The second step is to cook the mee pok noodles.
Boil one litre of water in a pot and add the noodles. Once the noodles are cooked, remove them from the water and place them in a serving bowl.
Boil the mee pok noodles
Place cooked mee pok in a serving bowl
Lastly, scoop the spicy bean sauce onto the mee pok.
Scoop the spicy bean sauce onto the mee pok
Garnish with spring onions and some cut chilies and your meal is ready! For a side dish, you can also add an onsen egg to pair with the noodles. Simply boil a chilled egg for 7 minutes and the runny yolk adds another dimension to the dish!
Spicy Bean Paste Noodle with onsen egg
Get the recipe below!
Spicy bean Paste Noodle
Servings 1 person
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
- 1bunch KCT MY NOODLE Mee Pok
- 1litre waterfor cooking noodles
- 150g minced beef
- 1/2cup french beans
- 2tbsp chilli bean paste
- 2tsp black bean paste
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 2tsp light soya sauce
- 1thumb sized gingerchopped
- 3cloves garlic
- 100ml waterfor sauce
- cornflour mixture1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1/8tsp saltto taste
- 1dash white pepperto taste
- spring onionsfor garnish
- Heat oil in wok and stir fry the minced beef for 5 - 10 mins or till ¾ cooked
- Add the French beans, ginger, garlic, water, and all the seasonings and cook under low flame for 5 mins
- Add the cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce. #Tip: prepare your cornflour mixture only before you are about to add it in as the cornflour will settle at the bottom of the mixture if left out for too long
- In a pot, boil 1L water. Add in Mee Pok and cook for 3 – 4 mins.
- Strain and set aside in a bowl.
- Scoop spicy bean mixture onto the Mee Pok and garnish with spring onions.