Singapore’s chilli crab has made it into the Lonely Planet travel guide publisher’s list of top 500 gastronomic experiences from around the world.
The iconic dish was given the No. 17 spot on the “Ultimate Eatlist”, which hits retailers on Wednesday (15 August). Another Asian favourite, Kuala Lumpur’s “curry laksa” was awarded the No. 2 spot on the list.
Taking first place was San Sebastian’s pintxos – the tapas of Spanish Basque country.
To create the “Ultimate Eatlist,” editors enlisted the help of their galloping gourmands, including food writers, bloggers and staff writers, who were asked to name their favourite, most authentic gastronomic encounters.
The dishes were then ranked according to taste, cultural importance and “special atmosphere of the location” to create a ranking of the top 500 foods.
Lonely Planet’s top 20 food experiences:
1. Pintxos in San Sebastián, Spain
2. Curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3. Sushi in Tokyo, Japan
4. Beef brisket in Texas, USA
5. Som tum in Bangkok, Thailand
6. Smørrebrød in Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Crayfish in Kaikoura, New Zealand
8. Bibimbap in Seoul, South Korea
9. Pizza margherita in Naples, Italy
10. Dim sum in Hong Kong
11. Ceviche in Peru
12. Pastéis de nata in Lisbon, Portugal
13. Oysters in Freycinet, Australia
14. Cheese experiences in France
15. Jerk chicken in Jamaica
16. Lamb tagine in Marrakech, Morocco
17. Chilli crab in Singapore
18. Moules frites in Brussels, Belgium
19. Peking duck in Beijing
20. Pho on the Hau River, Vietnam
(AFP Relax News)
Follow Yahoo Lifestyle Singapore on Facebook.