This year’s Singapore Fashion Awards recognised both emerging and veteran names, with seasoned jeweller Carrie K walking away with three awards and Chelsea Scott-Blackhall of Dzojchen winning fashion designer of the year.
Organised by the Textile and Fashion Federation Singapore (Taff), the annual awards show took place on Friday (24 November) at W-Singapore at Sentosa Cove.
A total of 15 awards were given out, with local jeweller Carolyn Kan of Carrie K bagging three of them for Best Collaboration, Champion for Creatives & Designers as well as Bespoke Designer of the Year, which is a newly added category. It is also the last award that Kan is most happy about.
“I love telling stories and bespoke is really my chance to tell a story that is meaningful… clients come to us to design for a very special occasion. It’s something that’s very meaningful to them. It’s something they will take with them to remind them of a moment or milestone,” said Kan during her acceptance speech on stage.
Meanwhile, the Fashion Designer of the Year award went to Singapore-born Chelsea Scott-Blackhall of Dzojchen (pronounced as doh-jen), a contemporary label launched in 2013.
“It’s a beautiful thing to be able to allow your inspiration and your lust for life into your work. Being a designer is a privilege and such a pleasure so this is a bonus,” said Scott-Blackhall, who is of British descent, during her acceptance speech.
The Singapore Fashion Awards also paid tribute to late Singapore fashion designer Tan Yoong, who died in January this year. He was also the recipient of this year’s honorary awards.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Ametsubi for Emerging Fashion Designer of the Year
- State Property for Emerging Accessories Designer of the Year
- Love, Bonito, Beyond the Vines and By Invite Only for Most Popular Brands
- Benjamin Barker for Best Marketing of the Year
- Carrie K for Best Collaboration
- Carolyn Kan (Carrie K) for Champion for Creatives & Designers
- Elain Lim for Makeup Artist of the Year
- Marc Teng for Hairstylist of the Year
- Stefan Khoo for Fashion Photographer of the Year
- Jeremy Tan for Fashion Stylist of the Year
- Carolyn Kan (Carrie K) for Bespoke Designer of the Year
- Marilyn Tan for Accessories Designer of the Year
- Chelsea Scott-Blackhall (Dzojchen) for Fashion Designer of the Year
There were three separate panels of judges for the Designer, Marketing and Contributor category awards, respectively. The panel for the Designer awards consisted of veteran designer Thomas Wee, fashion retailers Tina Tan-Leo and Debra Langley, as well as Taff CEO Lynette Lee.
The judges for Marketing awards were entrepreneur Tjin Lee, fashion personality Tracy Philips, editor of Chinese magazine NUYOU Terence Lee, as well as actress Janice Koh.
Lastly, the nominees for the Contributor awards (hairstylist, makeup, etc.) were judged by fashion entrepreneur and consultant David Wang, stylist Patrick Sin, Mediacorp fashion director Sharon Tulasidas and couture fashion designer Frederick Lee.
- 2017’s was the last Singapore Fashion Week for founder Tjin Lee
- Behind the scenes at Jason Wu’s inaugural Singapore Fashion Week show
- Singapore Fashion Week: Jeon Eunha stands out with her designs for older women
Follow Yahoo Lifestyle Singapore on Facebook.