Prince Philip has been transported to another hospital and is expected to remain hospitalized for at least another week, Buckingham Palace announced. The new palace statement also reveals that the Duke of Edinburgh has been battling a pre-existing heart condition on top of an already reported infection.
"The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition," read the statement. "The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week."
According to Buckingham Palace, Prince Philip is expected to remain hospitalized for several more days, as the royal consort is recovering from an infection.
"The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII's Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection," read the statement. "He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days."
Per Sky News royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills's interview with Prince Edward, the Duke of Edinburgh is still recovering but doing "a lot better" and "looking forward to getting out" of the hospital.
Talking to Prince Edward this morning he told me they were keeping their “fingers crossed” but the Duke of Edinburgh is “a lot better” as Buckingham Palace confirm he’s being treated for an infection. He is comfortable and not expected to leave hospital for several days @SkyNews pic.twitter.com/zvM3N4GxEZ
— Rhiannon Mills (@SkyRhiannon) February 23, 2021
The Duke of Edinburgh is expected to continue his stay at King Edward VII Hospital in the coming days, according to Buckingham Palace.
"Following consultation with his doctor The Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week," said the palace in a statement. "As we have said previously the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The Duke remains in good spirits."
Original Story 2/17/21:
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband of nearly 74 years, has been hospitalized, reported the Associated Press.
The 99-year-old royal was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London after feeling unwell. Buckingham Palace described the admission as a "precautionary measure" and recommended by Philip's personal doctor. The royal is expected to stay hospitalized for a few days for "observation and rest."
A palace source tells BAZAAR.com that the duke's hospitalization was not an emergency admission and that he walked into the hospital unaided. The source also confirmed that the illness is not COVID-19 related and the queen currently remains at Windsor Castle.
The Duke of Edinburgh officially retired from royal duties in 2017 and since then has rarely made public appearances alongside the queen and other working royals. He did, however, make a special appearance last summer for the wedding of his granddaughter Princess Beatrice to her real estate tycoon husband, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.
Amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Philip has been residing with the queen at Windsor Castle, where the monarch has been working remotely throughout the global health crisis. Both she and Philip received their COVID-19 vaccinations last month.
This year marks a major milestone for the prince, who will turn 100 years old come June, making him the first male member of the royal family and first royal consort to celebrate his 100th birthday. According to The Telegraph, however, the royal has no plans to make a "fuss" over celebrating a century of life.
"You can't do something if someone doesn't want something doing," a source said. "The one person you can guarantee will not want anything to do with it, is the duke. He's retired, he's stepped back, he doesn't want the fuss. You can't blame him."
You Might Also Like