Nottingham Forest winger Brennan Johnson would provide good cover for Tottenham’s attack, according to a former Premier League goalkeeper.
Spurs have been linked with the Welsh international over the last week or so with Chelsea also said to be interested.
Fabrizio Romano reported on Monday that the Londoners are preparing their opening bid for the 22-year-old.
“Tottenham, prepared to approach Nottingham Forest for Brennan Johnson this week,” Romano wrote on Twitter.
“Ange Postecoglou has already approved this potential move. It’s not an easy deal as Forest already rejected big proposals but interest in Brennan is growing now.”
Brentford are another club believed to be interested in Johnson and have had two bids rejected by Nottingham Forest this summer.
The Bees reportedly offered £35million – which would be a club-record signing – but ultimately failed in their attempts to sign the player.
They have since turned their attention to Fiorentina’s Nico Gonzalez, according to reports.
Johnson would be brought in to compete with Dejan Kulusevski for a spot on the right wing, though he can also operate on the left side, where Spurs captain Heung-min Son plays.
He does have the ability to play through the middle, which is a position Ange Postecoglou should be looking to bolster after the sale of Harry Kane.
And former Chelsea and Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich has told Sky Sports that he thinks Johnson would be a solid addition in north London.
“I think he’ll be a good signing. They need cover. And this is no disrespect to Richarlison. But they need some cover. They need to have a little bit more options,” Bosnich said.
“I thought Richarlison overall on the weekend did very well.
“Very, very difficult when you’re coming in and playing in the position where you’ve had an absolute club legend and somebody who’s been one of the best in the world for quite some time, to replace him.
“Ange can play a lot of ways. It always depends on the kind of players he has at his disposal. And I think this would give him a lot more options.
“But it won’t be the end of the world if they don’t get him as well. They can always sit back and wait until the mid-season transfer window.”
READ MORE: £100m for Caicedo or £40m on Maddison? Chelsea and Man Utd transfer waste shows money is no fix
The article ‘No disrespect…’ – Pundit rates potential Spurs buy as a ‘good signing’ as Postecoglou ‘needs cover’ appeared first on Football365.com.