Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'to miss Queen's Christmas events' this week

Francesca Specter
Yahoo Style UK deputy editor
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are currently on a break from royal duty. [Photo: Getty]

Meghan Markle, 38, and Prince Harry, 35, will miss two of the Queen’s Christmas events this week, according to reports.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently on a six-week break from royal duties, in order to spend “much-needed family time” with baby Archie.

The couple has already confirmed they won’t be joining the rest of the Royal Family at Sandringham for Christmas this year.

Now, a royal insider has revealed it’s unlikely the couple will attend two more Windsor-Mountbatten family events this week.

“As the couple made clear a few weeks ago, they are taking some time away together as a family,” a source told Mail Online.

“This means that they will miss Christmas events.”

According to the publication, the couple are currently spending time with Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, at an “undisclosed location” abroad and will not be returning to the UK until the new year.

READ MORE: What the Royal Family does at Christmas

It was previously believed the couple may attend the Queen’s Christmas party for staff held this evening at Buckingham Palace.

The Queen pays for this annual function out of her own pocket, rather than using the taxpayers’ money, and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have previously attended together.

But, it has emerged that they are likely to give it a miss this year.

Another event they’re set to miss is a pre-Christmas lunch held annually at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.

This event is attended by all members of the Royal Family – including those who will not be present at the Sandringham estate gathering attended by senior royals on Christmas Day.

The Duke of Cambridge, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of Sussex arriving to attend the Christmas Day morning church service on Christmas Day 2018. [Photo: Getty]

The Sussexes’ non-attendance is not a snub “whatsoever” towards the Queen, who is said to understand the situation, according to the insider.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle's 'ageless' high school prom photo has wowed royal fans

While it is to be hoped the family have had a rest during their break, it’s also been said they are using the time to make plans for their new charity, including its launch in the US.

“This is a mission that Meghan has been on for a long time,” a source told the Telegraph.

“Even in her younger years in Hollywood, she wanted to work towards creating an international charity changing lives. Now that she has the platform and profile of being a British royal she can truly build this plan.”

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo Style UK: