The Ministry of Health (MOH) on Friday (31 Jan) confirmed the country’s first Singaporean case of the Wuhan virus. She is the 15th case of the virus infection here.
The case, a 47-year-old woman who travelled to Wuhan with her family arrived in Singapore on Thursday (30 Jan). She was one of 92 Singaporeans who arrived in Singapore from Wuhan, Hubei via chartered Scoot flight.
The woman was one of the Singaporeans evacuated from the virus’ ground zero. She was said to be asymptomatic when she boarded the Scoot flight, MOH said.
First Singaporean case confirmed
Upon arrival at Changi Airport, she was found to have a fever during a medical screening upon arrival at Changi Airport, and was taken to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID). She was tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus infection on 31 Jan at 2pm, and is currently warded in an isolation room at NCID.
Singapore Changi Airport. | Image Source: iStock
The health ministry also confirmed three more cases. This takes the total number of infected cases here to 16 as at 2pm.
All three new cases recently travelled to China’s Wuhan.
14th and 16th case of Wuhan virus in Singapore
The 14th case is a 31-year-old male Chinese national who is a Singapore Work Pass holder. After a trip to Hubei, he arrived in Singapore from Wuhan on 26 Jan.
The case reported that he was asymptomatic during his flight to Singapore. He subsequently developed symptoms on 28 Jan.
“He sought medical treatment at a general practitioner clinic on 30 Jan and was conveyed by an ambulance to NCID, where he was immediately isolated. Subsequent test results confirmed Wuhan coronavirus infection,” MOH said.
Prior to hospital admission, the case stayed at his home in Jurong East Street 13. He is currently warded in an isolation room at NCID.
The 16th case is a 38-year-old male Chinese national who arrived in Singapore from Wuhan on 22 January. He was tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus infection on 31 Jan. He is currently warded in an isolation room at Singapore General Hospital.
MOH said it has initiated contact tracing. Once identified, the health ministry will closely monitor all close contacts.
“As a precautionary measure, they will be quarantined for 14 days from their last exposure to the patient. In addition, all other identified contacts who have a low risk of being infected will be under active surveillance, and will be contacted daily to monitor their health status,” it added.
Updates on previously confirmed cases
Image source: iStock
In a press release, the MOH said the three new cases are currently stable. As for the 13 previously announced cases, none is critically ill. “All of them remain in stable condition, and most are improving,” MOH said.
F irst Singaporean case: Gov’t extends precautionary measures
On Tuesday (28 Jan), the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced additional measures to limit the risk that travellers from Hubei pose to Singapore.
All travellers arriving from mainland China who had been there in the past 14 days will be barred from entry or transit in Singapore. This comes after the Immigration authorities announced the suspension of the issuing of new visas to Singapore, as well as transit passage here, to those with China passports, with immediate effect.
However, Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong on Friday said Chinese passport holders who can show that they had not been to China recently, may be allowed entry but on a case-by-case basis.
Singaporeans, permanent residents and long-term-pass holders returning from China will be placed on a leave of absence of 14 days.