By April Benshosan
Déjà vu anyone?
Is it safe to eat at Chipotle? That's the question that's been on the minds of consumers since 2015’s e. Coli outbreak. And now, after quite a few Chipotle frequenters in Virginia reported getting sick post gobbling up Mexican grub, the fast-casual chain has closed a Sterling, Virginia restaurant.
How Many People Got Sick?
Eight reports on iwaspoisoned.com, a site where diners can upload their personal horror stories, noted that about 13 customers fell ill after dining there on either Friday or Saturday.
What Are they Sick With?
Customers reported experiencing painful norovirus symptoms ranging from severe stomach discomfort, nausea, dizziness, and dehydration to vomiting and diarrhea—which even drove two victims to the hospital.
How Is Chipotle Responding To This?
"We are working with health authorities to understand what the cause may be and to resolve the situation as quickly as possible," Jim Marsden, Chipotle's executive director of food safety, told Business Insider. "The reported symptoms are consistent with norovirus. Norovirus does not come from our food supply, and it is safe to eat at Chipotle." Marsden also added that the illnesses were confined to just the single Sterling restaurant and that Chipotle plans to sanitize the location and reopen it on Tuesday. Contrary to those claims, iwaspoisoned.com users in other states like New York and Florida more recently reported similar symptoms as well.
Is It Safe to Eat At Chipotle?
So: is Chipotle safe to dine in? Since 2015, the company has gone to great lengths to sanitize its locations, and as a result, the official Eat This, Not That! recommendation gives dining there the green light. This recent discovery doesn't change our opinion—yet. We’ll keep you posted about whether or not this reported outbreak spreads beyond Virginia. And in the meantime, click here for Every Dish At Chipotle—Ranked!