Ayu Puteh hopes that Malaysian government will permit filming activities soon

Heidi Hsia
·2-min read

15 Feb – The founder of Pencil Pictures and Records Sdn Bhd (PPAR), Datuk Ayu Puteh stated that production companies must comply with the government's guidelines and SOP so that the flexibility to continue filming work is not revoked.

She said this in response to the announcement by the Minister of Communications and Multimedia, Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah, who recently revealed that the government is currently detailing and refining the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for filming activities outside the studio, including live broadcast events and cinema screenings.

The minister, who previously announced that studios and production houses are permitted to resume their filming indoor, stated that the National Security Council (MKN) is taking into account the views of creative industry players in refining the procedures.

"Accordingly, for the creative industry sector, the government allows the operation of animation and music production, post-production work, digital music development and song recording that are all done in the studio. The government has also allowed pre-production work of filming and filming activities in unoccupied studios since last Wednesday," he said in a statement uploaded on the ministry's website.

Saifuddin added that the ministry hoped that improvements of the SOP to the creative industry would be able to help filmmakers and workers to continue to work for the sake of income sustainability.

Datuk Saifuddin: National Security Council (MKN) is refining procedures for filming SOP
Datuk Saifuddin: National Security Council (MKN) is refining procedures for filming SOP
Ayu Puteh with Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob
Ayu Puteh with Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob

Datuk Ayu Puteh added that "we have to be grateful for the efforts of FINAS and other parties, including the film producers' association, who are doing their best to get the permission to continue filming activities."

The producer of "Ada Apa Dengan Dosa" explained that "too many film workers did not have any income during the MCO and have been asking producers when filming will begin. So, when the government announced the approval, I was very thankful for it."

She is currently working on the new drama "Yang Bakal Mati Ramadan", which will begin filming soon.

Aside from the usual guidelines including COVID-19 screenings for all personnel involved, The National Film Development Corporation Malaysia (FINAS) will also be doing periodic monitoring to ensure that such SOP compliance is not compromised.

Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah visited a shooting location in July last year
Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah visited a shooting location in July last year

(Photo Source: Ayu Puteh Instagram, Ministry of Communications and Multimedia)