From customers dressed in bizarre costumes to incidents involving bodily functions, Walmart workers - like their counterparts at Target - have to deal with some pretty WTF moments. Here, employees shared some of their craziest stories on condition of anonymity.
1. There was a man using the hose we use to water our plants showering naked in the parking lot. He had put up a sheet to block one side, but people could still see everything. When the manager told him to leave, he acted like there was nothing weird about it. He was extremely nonchalant, like he did this all the time, and he just packed up his sheet, got in his car and left.
2. A lady came in with coupons that she clearly photocopied, and tried to use them to get majorly reduced prices on products like laundry detergent or paper towels. She got away with it because we had a new cashier, and with all of the coupons she used and the amount of money she saved on each item, the store ended up owing her money on what would have been a $600 purchase.
3. A customer was buying some iced tea and it rang up for $4.68. She started arguing with me, saying that it was $3.33. I went back to where the tea was to check the signs, and it clearly said $4.68. I came back to tell her it rang up at the correct price, and she goes to see for herself. Then she accused us of changing the prices while she was in line and started yelling about how we’re liars and stupid, and she’s going to call Walmart customer service to complain. The funny thing is, the price tags have the dates they were printed on them so she [should] have seen we were telling the truth.
4. There was a group of two guys and three girls. They were in the kid’s section, and the girls were throwing these big bouncy balls over the shelves to the other side trying to hit the boys, who were riding bikes down the aisle. Then they grabbed skateboards and were riding them around the store throwing random things into customers’ carts. They wouldn’t stop, so we had to call the cops to escort them out.
5. The maintenance guy was cleaning the bathroom near the back of the store, and a woman asked him to stop mopping so she could use the bathroom. He told her he couldn’t let her in because the floor was wet, but she could use the bathroom near the front of the store. She went to the infant’s clothing department and peed and pooped on the floor. She also managed to hide her face from the camera the entire time, so we couldn’t even identify her to press charges.
6. I was working register around 11:30 at night. I gave a lady her change and she threw it on the floor. I ask her why she threw it on the floor, and she told me she wanted any children in the store to pick it up. I told her that there are no children around because it’s so late, and that maintenance would clean it up anyways. She told me to leave it on the ground.
7. A woman came to guest services saying she wanted to return a basket because it was haunted. I asked her what she meant, and she said her boyfriend took a picture of it and there was electrical frequency surrounding it and she couldn’t keep it in her house. She had the receipt so she was able to return it, but I still don’t understand how a basket could be haunted.
8. I was working at the service desk and a woman rushes up and says she needs to talk to my manager. I sometimes can fix the problem, so I asked her what she needed help with. Then she started yelling at me at the top of her lungs saying that the bathroom was closed and she peed on herself because it was closed. I explained that there was another bathroom in a different part of the store that was open. In the middle of me explaining that, she runs out of the store before I could get my manager, and I never saw her again.
9. There’s a guy who comes into the store regularly and always has a beer can suctioned to his forehead. We found out it’s some kind of advertising for a company, but it’s still pretty weird to see him walking around the store like that.
10. A man came into the store wearing a clown outfit and gory clown makeup. It was around Halloween so he probably worked at a haunted house, but it was pretty scary. He was just walking around, shopping for his dinner.
11. When I first started as a cashier, I was always at the register near one of the bathrooms. People would always come to me and tell me that maintenance needed to go to the bathroom, because someone wrote on the wall in poop. It weirdly was a semi-regular occurrence. I’m not sure if it was one person coming back or multiple people, but it stopped after a few months.
12. I was working the checkout line, and I’m not sure if one woman cut another one in line or bumped her with her cart, but these two women start arguing. Both of them had their pre-teen children with them. It ended with one woman telling the other that she hoped she got in a car accident on her way home.
13. A guy came into the store in a full gorilla suit. He was just doing his shopping like normal. At some point, we asked him to take the mask off for security reasons. He did, and just continued his shopping.
14. I saw a grown man walking around the store one night wearing one-piece purple pajamas with cartoon characters on it. He was probably in his late 30s or early 40s. A group of teenagers was laughing at him as he walked around, but he seemed pretty unfazed.
15. Not many customers realize that Walmart does price matching. One customer totally went to the extreme and designed his own ads with extremely discounted prices on name brands. I would have totally bought it, but the prices were ridiculous. For example, Tide laundry detergent usually goes between $9-$12 and this person had it down to $3. I played it off like everything was cool and called my manager. Next thing you know, this person is calling me every name in the book, threatening to sue me, and he literally called the police on me. Once the police arrived, my manager and I explained the situation to them and ended up having the customer sign a 'No trespassing on premises' form to avoid any more scenes with him. He ended up getting escorted out of the building by the cops. Funny thing is, I saw him at another store doing the same exact thing but with coupons.
Follow Kate on Twitter.
You Might Also Like